Sunday, January 18, 2009




Therapy and the Beach: Cathie and I went to the beach and an egret rested on our hood. It was cool out so we had this huge beach (5 miles in each direction mostly to ourselves). This seagull worked his way close to me looking for snacks. I've been practicing Buddhist meditative techniques and reading some books on the topic in order to better handle some fears and anxieties that I have been feeling lately.


Cathie gave me a book with bible excerpts on the matter also. She says the Bible has more effective solutions to life's difficulties than therapists. She feels God's solution is to work on your core and if your core person is solid (with the Lord) the anxieties and fears of life are taken care of by default. I was a little weirded out that she'd dismiss the entire practice of psycho and cognitive therapy but now I'm trying to understand her viewpoint.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger Maria said...

I like the idea of therapy and the beach. Let me know what you find out about. An egret on your hood - was that a sign? Did you walk the beach? It must have been peaceful.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Steve Williams said...

Red wants to know if you're raking Zen gardens in the sand? .

Seems like you are having a fine time in Florida. I'm still waiting for some pictures of alligators.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Maria:
Yes, I'm making specific efforts to pay attention to how the world outside my head can often be a peaceful place. What did I find? For one I have to be available to it. I'm tring some exercises. The egret on the hood might have been a sign like the donkey on the Blue Ridge Parkway. That bird was waiting for our return. We didn't walk far. Just down to the water and around the general area. I did go to that spot where the fresh sea shells collect to look for keepers.

Steve:
I didn't think of that. Your 'Red' or Red of "Red's Steamed Cheeseburgers?" We didn't have a rake. But I spent a good half hour making large and deep heel prints. We sat on beach chairs on the beach. I haven't seen a single alligator. But Tuesday I'm going down the coast to see Miami Beach and South Beach. Will try to convince Greg to ride motorcycles with me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home